Contact form requirements
If you want to successfully use one of our contact form scripts, then your system must meet the minimum requirements set out below:
- Have PHP V5.5 or greater available (PHP V7 is also supported)
- SMTP account or PHP configured to use the mail function.
Most websites hosting environments can meet the above requirements.
Which version of PHP are you using?
There are a few ways to find out your version of PHP. Here are the most common ways.
- Ask your website administrator or hosting provider
- If you have a website or hosting management console available, take a look there
- If you have shell access, type in
- Create a PHP file with the content:
<?php phpinfo();, and run it
If your version is less than 5.5, there's still hope. Find out if it's possible to upgrade, it's much better to have a more up-to-date version as older versions tend to have less or no support, and may have unpatched security issues. PHP V5.5 is old, its end-of-life support was in July 2016.
Do you have support for SMTP?
The vast majority of hosting environments will support SMTP usage, either locally on the same environment, or allow you to connect to a third-party option.
The easiest way to find out is to ask your provider. If that are no possible, then look for an external option. There's many available.
Alternatively, PHP may be pre-configured to send emails without you having to provide any SMTP details. Ask your provider for details, or just give it a try!